March is Gambling Awareness Month
2.6% of Americans have a gambling problem.
Types of Gambling:
- Casino-style games (machines & card games)
- Gambling with dice games
- Electronic games (mobile apps and websites)
- Betting on sporting events
- Lottery tickets, games of skill & more...
Signs of a Problem:
- Unable to cut back from gambling
- Restless when attempting to stop
- Risks more money to reach desired level of excitement
- "Chases" losses
- Lies to family/ friends about gambling
- Risks job/ relationships
- Relies on others for financial needs
Americans lose $119 billion through gambling (more than any other country in the world).
What to do if you or a loved one has a gambling problem?
- Talk with your doctor
- Get a referral to a mental health specialist
- Connect with others or join a support group